Re: [Rpm-ecosystem] lazy loading of filelists.xml to speed up dnf

> On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 08:50:25AM +0000, Michael Schroeder wrote:
>
> Yep, that sounds like an excellent idea.
>

> That's a good question. The time window where this can happen is not
> be that big, because without filelists the loading of metadata is
> quicker. But it's still non-zero, so given enough machines and enough
> updates, it'll be hit occasionally.

"Occasionally" is a pleasant euphemism.

> A dirty solution would be to simply error out, not nice.
>
> I think the best solution if part of the meta-data cannot be
> downloaded, is to restart the download of metadata in non-lazy mode. In
> other words, if the lazy approach fails, repeat the process exactly
> like it is done today.

There is no other solution to conflicting tasks accessing identical paths.

Well you could put a file with a time stamp (to be able to detect stale)in the same directory, and then teach down loaders to honor the lock, or rename a directory in place after updating, but both are tricky to implement with rsync mirroring.

> One thing that mitigates this issue is that we have multiple mirrors,
> and they cannot be all updated at the same time, so some mirrors will
> carry "stale" metadata, and dnf should be able to hit some other mirror
> that still has the old filelists. Thus, I think it should be OK to start
> with the "dirty solution", if implementing the fallback is complicated,
> and implement the fallback later.

One could also map the filelist lookup into a http based service instead of downloading the entire list, lazily or not, with compression or not, with client cache management or not.

Rsync mirroring of package metadata is very last century.

But "occasionally" downloading file lists does not solve the problems stated, either then, or now.

Till next time the issue is discussed ...

73 de Jeff