Re: /results_* and /*.rpm in .gitignore

On 07/25/2018 11:59 PM, Todd Zullinger wrote:
Tim Landscheidt wrote:
Todd Zullinger <tmz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[…]

For example, the rpmlint's .gitignore contains the
following¹:

/*.rpm
/results_rpmlint/
/rpmlint-*/
/rpmlint-*.tar.gz

[…]

Apropos: Many .gitignores only reference the source files,
i. e. not /results_${name} or /${name}-*.rpm.  Therefore I
usually add the latter two to .git/info/exclude and I wonder
how others handle this.

If it's a package I often work on, I generally add it to the
.gitignore directly.

Will fedpkg (and its backend) always create results_${name}
and ${name}-*.rpm in the top directory or is the destination
configurable?  If the former, it would make sense to add
them to .gitignore "for everybody", e. g. recommend that in
the Packaging Guidelines.  If not, I'd find it useful to
have "fedpkg clone" add them to the initial
.git/info/exclude.

The results_* and *.src.rpm files are always created at the
top level and are not configurable in fedpkg/rpkg (so far as
I can tell).

I think it makes sense to have them in every package
.gitignore file.  Whether that's best done via the scripts
which are used to create a new repo after a package review,
via fedpkg/rpkg (automatically or by a command/option), or
just documented as a best practice in the guidelines I'm not
sure.

fedpkg also generates other directories and files from commands, e.g. prep or local.

fedpkg could write patterns to .git/info/exclude just after clone, which ignore known directories and files generated by its commands.

For other possible ignore patterns, they could be defined in user config file ~/.config/rpkg/fedpkg.conf that would be used in all packages that packager maintains.

To summarize, after package is cloned,

1. fedpkg writes known patterns to .git/info/exclude immediately
2. read predefined patterns from user config file, and if there is, write to .git/info/exclude as well.

Is this viable?

Regards,
Chenxiong Qi