Re: Fedora crda To wireless-regdb Upgrade

On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 11:53:51AM +0200, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> [...]
> > QUESTIONS
> >
> > Are there reasons to oppose the Obsolete/Provides upgrade path from
> > crda to wireless-regdb?

+1 to the upgrade.

> Would it be desirable to require users to
> > manually intervene by installing wireless-regdb by hand? FWIW, I do not
> > see any benefit from requiring any manual steps.
>
> The main issue with Obsoletes/Provides of crda is that if any user
> want to maintain a self compiled kernel < 4.15. Then this kernel will
> suddenly loose wireless support whereas it was previously working.
> This is also a problem if using various kernel version to bissect a
> wireless regression.
>
> What I would recommend instead is to :
> - have everything set for wireless-regdb to be installed by default in
> f29+ (comps,ks,package dependency).
> - eventually obsoletes/provides crda only on f29+
> - for fedora < 29 have crda to require wireless-regdb, so current
> users will migrate to the new method. (that way they can even manually
> remove crda  and keep wireless-regdb if they like to).
>
> This doesn't seem that complicated to handle as a transition that way.

Not doing Obsoletes in F<29 is a good idea. There *are* users who runs
older kernels for various reasons (nvidia, various bugs, etc), and this
might break the network for them.

Considering that F29 will be out soon, maybe push the package with
Provides/Obsoletes to rawhide now. Once this gets a bit of testing,
you can consider pushing it out to F28 as an update. Since there's no
urgency to the upgrade, simply ignoring F28- and not doing the upgrade
there sounds like a reasonable option too.

Zbyszek