Re: Self introduction: Eduardo Otubo

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018, 15:24 Cole Robinson <crobinso@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Welcome Eduardo :)

On 07/19/2018 06:47 AM, Eduardo Otubo wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My name is Eduardo and I'll be helping co-maintaining the cloud-init package for Fedora.
>
> I've been working with QEMU/KVM since 2011. In 2013 I became the maintainer of
> the seccomp subsystem in QEMU. In mid-2017 I joined Red Hat to support RHEL in
> different clouds (Hyper-V, Xen, etc) and supporting cloud-init on RHEL is now
> part of my job as well.
>
> I've been reading the "Join the package collection maintainers" wiki page and
> it's been good so far :) except for a tiny question about the process for
> cloud-init package: How exactly do we decide things like rebase from upstream or
> release dates? I didn't find any specific cloud-init mailing list here[0], or
> anything relevant on the #cloud-init channel at Freenode.

Usually there isn't any policy around how/when specific packages are
updated in Fedora, it's up to the discretion of the maintainers. Some
people push latest versions of their packages to every stable Fedora
branch, others only rebase in rawhide, and everything in between. So I
suggest talking to your co-maintainers about how they've done things,
and go from there

There *IS* policy for how updates to rawhide and stable releases should be handled. They are available on the aptly named "Updates Policy" wiki page: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy

Fabio

The main thing I'd think is to not rebase cloud-init too late into a
Fedora dev cycle, so there's plenty of time to ensure the cloud images
are in good shape (I don't know if the cloud images are ever regenerated
after Fedora GA release). But I know very little about cloud-init...
maybe it releases all the time, maybe it doesn't regress much, etc.

- Cole