Re: JSharing some poor experience

On Thursday, 19 July 2018 at 16:31, Theodore Papadopoulo wrote:
> 	Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded my computer to Fedora 28 and experienced some
> strange behaviour with the cinnamon deskop when having two screens.
> On the second screen there was a black "border" around windows (eg
> terminals) that was flickering and expanding eg when the mouse was
> moving....
>
> This was somewhat unpleasant but manageable... Today, it started
> bothering me a little, so I did a little search and found (rather easily
> once I had the right keywords):
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/VA-API_1.0.0
>
> which clearly states that for intel graphic cards, it is necessary to
> install libva-intel-driver which is only available from rpmfusion-free.
> In my case, it was not installed, so I guess the troubles were coming
> from the software rendering...
>
> What I find strange is that fedora 28 depends (in my configuration with
> the two external screen configuration, which is probably not that
> common) on something which is outside it repositories to properly
> function. And the information on this new dependency is not very
> explicit (eg in the release notes as far as I can tell).

VA is for video acceleration only (encoding and decoding), so whatever
your issue with terminal window rendering is, it's unrelated to VA.

As for VA itself, there's libva-intel-hybrid-driver which is available
in Fedora. It doesn't support all Intel CPUs, though.

Regards,
Dominik
--
Fedora   https://getfedora.org  |  RPMFusion   http://rpmfusion.org