Re: Removal of GCC from the buildroot

On Mon, Jul 09, 2018 at 02:07:26PM -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jul 2018, Matt Milosevic wrote:
>
> > I tend to agree with Chris on this. Whether we like it or not, GCC is an
> > integral part of the Unix environment and most things we care about utilize
> > it in some aspect, even when it's not immediately obvious. Attempting to
> > forcefully bring in an alternate compiler would undoubtedly break a great
> > deal of things.
>
> Who said ** anything ** about more than a virtual provide,
> which will do ... nothing more than put in place a portable
> way to test for breakage ???
>
> To the contrary, widely hard-coding
> 	BR: gcc
>
> locks OUT such efforts to track down 'gcc-isms'

Actually, the reverse is true.

Consider this:
- identifying packages which require *a* build compiler is hard (gcc was
part of the buildroot, so packages didnt't declare the dependency, and
there's many different ways to search for and invoke a compiler, so it's
not immediately obvious from a spec file if the build needs a compiler)

- this change clearly marks packages which packages which need *a*
compiler and *can* be compiled with gcc.

If in the future there's a desire to compile some packages with clang,
it'll be easy to adjust those spec files to BR:clang or BR:c-compiler.
Thanks to this change, the number of packages that need to be looked
at is much smaller.

As you can see from how long it took Igor to apply those changes it's
quite easy to do a scripted update of 1000s of packages. It's easy to
do a simple BR:this to BR:that change. The hard part is looking at
build failures, fixing the builds, and adjusting dependencies.

Zbyszek