Re: [HEADS UP] Removal of GCC from the buildroot

On 07/09/2018 11:15 AM, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jul 2018 at 19:57, Igor Gnatenko
<ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As per Changes/Remove GCC from BuildRoot, I'm going to automatically add BuildRequires: gcc and/or BuildRequires: gcc-c++ to packages which fail to build with common messages (like gcc: command not found, also autotools/cmake/meson are supported).

I'm going to do this tomorrow.

After which, I'm going to ask rel-eng to finally remove it from buildroot. This will happen before mass rebuild. Stay tuned.
After adding explicite gcc/g++ in BuildRequires it will be extreamly
hard to switch use for example to use clang.
Well, you imply that currently we could just substitute clang for GCC and successfully rebuild everything, but that is not the case: there will be breakage. With an explicit dependency, the packagers can check clang compatibility ahead of time and prepare for the change. Things that require GCC will give a build-time error instead of mysterious compile or run-time failures. Packages that truly don't care about the compiler (which hopefully will be in the majority) can use boolean dependencies: BuildRequires: (gcc-c++ or clang)
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Rich.2FBoolean_dependencies
Congratulation.
Come on now...