Re: installing glibc-minimal-langpack in buildroots

On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 03:33:42PM +0100, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 at 13:33, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Right now glibc-all-langpacks is installed in buildroots (mock, koji, …).
> > It is 24 MB, out of the total of 145 MB. Replacing it with glibc-minimal-langpack,
> > which has negligible size, would decrease the buildroot size by 17%.
>
> BTW glibc langpacks sub packages.
> IMO this solution is wrong because it is not compliant with what provides rpm.
> Instead relating on rpm settings usually dropped into /etc/rpm/macros like:
>
> %_install_langs en,pl
>
> Someone is trying to implement installed languages support on subpackages layer.

I'm not sure if I understand what you are criticizing: the langpacks split,
or my proposal, or what.

Anyway, the langpacks split was made with full awareness of %_install_langs,
see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Glibc_locale_subpackaging.

[...]

> Result is obvious: number of *langpack* packages is growing.
I don't think this is a big problem. The number of languages that can
be supported can't go much higher (in principle there's maybe ~2000 languages
alive nowadays, but most of them are dying quickly, and are unlikely to ever
get glibc locale support). The 192 langpacks we have now is nothing compared
to the texlive package list.

Zbyszek