Re: Packages which needlessly use %defattr

On Tue, 3 Jul 2018, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

In a %files section of a specfile, the %defattr directive is used to set
the default file ownership and permissions.  RPM has provided a sensible
default since version 4.4 (which predates FC6 and RHEL5), but very many
specfiles still include an initial %defattr line like
"%defattr(-,root,root,-)" as the initial line in a %files section even
though this has not been needed for well over a decade now.  This
construct even appears in new specfiles, perhaps because it appears in
so many existing packages.

The packaging guidelines indicate that %defattr should not be used in
this manner.  (This is not a recent change.)
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#File_Permissions

Yeah, but since it's many thousands of packages, I think maybe you
didn't have to send the whole list?

It's been useful for legibility, even it's no longer recommended. Is
it really hurting anyone at this point? And is it worth the thousands
of .spec file changes to aggressively clear?

Also, it's not trivia to tell people "oh, my script is pretty safe,
but you should please check many thousands of packages for me!!!" How
about, instead, posting the script so we can check the syntax first?

His original message had a link to the repository with the script. Here is the script:

https://pagure.io/fedora-misc-package-utilities/blob/master/f/find-needless-defattr

Scott