Re: F29 System Wide Change: Make BootLoaderSpec the default ['id' field]

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:38 PM, Javier Martinez Canillas
<javier@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 5:36 PM, Javier Martinez Canillas
> <javier@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 4:33 PM, Peter Jones <pjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [snip]

>>> Yeah, so maybe we want to make that:
>>>
>>>   version, id, <config file name>, title, linux
>>>

>> Yes, although it probably should be:
>>
>> <config file name>, id, version, title, linux
>>

> Ok, I noticed that said something stupid here. The filename is the
> only thing expected to be unique so there's no point to use anything
> as a fallback for it. So either we should only use the file name to
> sort or it should be the last thing used.
>
> I propose to just do: version, <config file name>
>
> and use the config file name (without the .conf) as the grub2 menu
> entry id and drop the id field since it won't be needed anymore.
>
> That way it will cover ostree case (version has precedence over
> filename) and all bootloaders will use the file name to sort.
> Alternatively we can just use the file name and change ostree to use
> the version instead of the index as its trailing number.

I've discussed with Colin and he agreed for ostree to use
ostree-$version-$ID-$VARIANT_ID.conf as filename, I've made that
change in [0].

That means that now both Fedora CoreOS and classic Fedora will have
BLS filenames that can be used as sort criteria. So I've proposed a
change [1] for our grub2 to just search by the BLS filename and use it
as the menu entry id, dropping the separate id field as suggested by
Zbyszek.

[0]: https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/pull/1654
[1]: https://github.com/rhboot/grub2/pull/18

Best regards,