Re: upcoming systemd-239 release — call for testing

On Wed, 2018-06-20 at 13:17 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Di, 19.06.18 22:22, Adam Williamson (adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2018-06-18 at 12:16 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > we plan to release systemd-239 wednesday-ish and it will be landing in
> > > rawhide. There's a bunch of new functionality, see
> > > https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/NEWS. As always, the
> > > majority of commits is cleanups and bugfixes and the polishing of
> > > existing functionality. A big new feature is "portable services",
> > > currently in preview mode. There are man pages, but an introductory
> > > blog story is planned around the time of the release, so you might
> > > want to wait for that.
> > >
> > > Please give it a try and report any bugs either in bugzilla [1] or
> > > upstream [2]. For testing, rpms are available from copr:
> > > https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/zbyszek/systemd/build/768345/.
> >
> > Thanks for the heads up on this. I built a test Rawhide netinst image
> > with the updated systemd and ran it through openQA. It mostly worked,
> > but several of the tests failed with this error in anaconda:
> >
> > 22:13:42,713 INF threading: Thread Failed: AnaInstallThread (140332673541888)
> > 22:13:42,713 DBG exception: running handleException
> > 22:13:42,716 CRT exception: Traceback (most recent call last):
> >
> >   File "/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/gi/overrides/BlockDev.py", line 843, in wrapped
> >     ret = orig_obj(*args, **kwargs)
> >
> >   File "/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/gi/overrides/BlockDev.py", line 465, in lvm_vgcreate
> >     return _lvm_vgcreate(name, pv_list, pe_size, extra)
> >
> > GLib.GError: g-dbus-error-quark: Waiting for 'VgCreate' method of the '/com/redhat/lvmdbus1/Manager' object to finish failed: Failed to get Complete property of the / object: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist
> >  (19)
> >
> > it seems like an intermittent error, as not all the tests that create
> > LVM VGs failed, and restarting the failed tests mostly resulted in
> > passes...but I don't think we've seen this particular error, even as an
> > intermittent one, in recent Rawhide tests with systemd 238, so it seems
> > like it *could* be caused by the update. Any idea where this may be
> > coming from?
>
> Hmm, this doesn't look like a systemd issue to me. This is a dbus
> method call failure of some form. The dbus client and the dbus service
> in this case are not provided by systemd, and neither is the dbus
> message bus in between. Hence systemd doesn't really insert itself in
> any form in the ongoing communication between this IPC client and
> server.
>
> That said, systemd is involved in service activation if the service
> isn't around yet at the time the client asks for the service. However,
> judging by the provided logs
> (https://openqa.stg.fedoraproject.org/tests/318564/file/_do_install_and_reboot-syslog)
> [...]

Thanks...so to try and confirm I did a run of the same set of tests
(the 'universal' tests) with a regular Rawhide netinst image (one with
systemd 238), and indeed the same bug occurred at least once:

https://openqa.stg.fedoraproject.org/tests/318862

so it does indeed not appear to be to do with systemd 239. Wonder what
is causing it, though. Hum.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey