Re: Services that shouldn't be started in the first place: Was F29... hide.. grub

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 10:15 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 12:34 PM Gerald B. Cox <gbcox@xxxxxx> wrote:
This isn't related to a service, but is throwing out an spurious error message.  There is a patch but it hasn't made it's way
yet into the Fedora kernel:

rt_cmos registration error:  rhbz#1568276
Basically an error is being thrown because your system doesn't have battery backup.  To their credit, it was quickly identified
and patched.  We now just have to wait for the patch to be applied.

However these:

The mcelog.service message is associated with rhbz#1166978
The dbxtool.service message is associated with rhbz#1508808
The rngd.service message is associated with rhbz#1490632

At least for me are the result of services being enabled by default, that should never have been enabled for my
environment.

mcelog:  I am using an AMD processor.  This service only applies to Intel.
dbxtool:  I am not using SecureBoot.  This service only applies to machines using SecureBoot.
rngd:  I am not using a machine that has a hardware RNG generator

The proper behavior here would be for these services not to be marked as "failed" when the appropriate hardware is not present. When possible, we should be using systemd's Condition* features to skip attempting to start it at all, but for things where we can't know it ahead of time, we should modify the start script to look for appropriate error codes/messages and treat the service as "success" if it's skipped because it's not supported on the current hardware.

This would be the ideal situation, because it means that if the situation changes (e.g. mcelog gains AMD support in an update, someone plugs in an hardware RNG device, etc.), the service will start working without additional intervention.

Agreed - there are commands which provide this information... for CPU (Intel or AMD) and for querying whether or not one is using SecureBoot.  Can we please get the people who are responsible for the creation of these services to fix them?  The issue regarding battery backup (rhbz#1568276) already has a patch created - we are just waiting for to be incorporated into the kernel.  We always seem to be chasing the next shiny object, but ignore things that have been broken for years.