Re: F29 System Wide Change: Make BootLoaderSpec the default

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 12:40:50PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > > What exactly is the plan for upgrades, here?
> >
> > I *assume* it's what the "grubby wrapper" is there for?
>
> Yeah, I was hoping for more details :)

The grubby wrapper is actually to provide a transition plan to external
scripts and tools that are using grubby, but which we're not aware of.
Right now the plan is that it'll be provided as part of grubby, while we
phase out the grubby code that's so painful.  It basically provides
things like telling you which kernel is selected or setting the option
for what to boot next time, without handling the crazy parts of writing
config files or calling out to dracut, or all that stuff.

The general plan for upgrades is a program we've written named
grub2-switch-to-blscfg, which:

- sets GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=true in /etc/default/grub
- creates bls config files for any kernels that aren't already providing
  them
- re-runs grub2-mkconfig to generate a BLS-aware grub.cfg

For f28 the plan is that the user can switch by running that manually as
root, or by removing the grubby package, which will call it in %postun.
This gives users ability to switch back in the f28 time-frame in the
event they hit some corner cases we haven't solved or seen yet, and
gives us time to get reasonable feedback before phasing out non-bls
configs.  Then, for f29, we'll obsolete grubby itself and only have the
compatibility version.

So that's the upgrade plan.

--
  Peter