Re: [X86] Fwd: F29 System Wide Change: i686 Is For x86-64

On 7 June 2018 at 09:07, Michal Schorm <mschorm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 4:51 AM Michal Schorm <mschorm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can someone explain me *real quick* what is the multilib good for? - or
>>> more precisely, why whould anone run 32-bit software on x86_64 OS?
>>
>> In my case, there are a couple of games that are either older, or just not
>> provided in 64bit so I need a few 32bit libraries in order for the kids to
>> play them.
>

> That's what the SRPMs are good aren't hey?
> Shouldn't be much trouble to recompile them fo x86_64.
> Or run the apps / games in virtualized environment. (Not something I'd do
> with latest games, but for sokoban from 1986 shouldn't run into performance
> problems :) )
>
> Am I right?
>
> ( I'm not trying to argue. Just to understand the reasons properly. )

Going outside the entertainment, schools which use Fedora are usually
tied to some 10+ year old 32 bit software that they need for an
engineering project.. but it is also tied with a newer 64 bit
application. While it isn't a Fedora thing, many payroll and finance
systems are a similar mixture of 32 bit old apps and 64 bit new ones.
This means that our downstream (RHEL) has a vested interested in
making sure that works so puts people on it to figure it out.

Software is like words. Language smiths like to spend time and come up
with new words which mean exactly what they are wanting to do. The
people actually needing something done, tend to just stick several
words together and get on with their lives.

> --
>
> Michal Schorm
> Associate Software Engineer
> Core Services - Databases Team
> Red Hat
>
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 4:51 AM Michal Schorm <mschorm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can someone explain me *real quick* what is the multilib good for? - or
>>> more precisely, why whould anone run 32-bit software on x86_64 OS?
>>

>> In my case, there are a couple of games that are either older, or just not
>> provided in 64bit so I need a few 32bit libraries in order for the kids to
>> play them.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard

Stephen J Smoogen.