Re: FC4 slimfast slimfest

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:30:14 -0700, Joshua Eichorn <josh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would also like to point out, the exim docs are a good example of general space waste on docs packages, it contains html, pdf, ps, and texinfo docs so the same content 4 times (so im guessing just with some new configure flags could take 1/4 the space).
-josh

The thing I hate most about modern *nix is the proliferation of different documation formats. In the good old days we had man pages. Then Sun came along and introduced it's own system that was graphical and all but was really worse than man pages. Then there's info and docbook and programs that have HTML documentation and PDF documentation, and...

This nonsense caused about ten minutes of extra downtime for a production system when I did something dumb that overwrote the module utilities: the 2.6 module utilities source doesn't just have man page source in it, but it compiles the pages out of docbook source. Well, this is RHEL 3 and you wouldn't expect it to have packages that work, so to get "make install" to work I had to smash the Makefile so it wouldn't try to compile them.