Re: [X86] Re: Fwd: F29 System Wide Change: i686 Is For x86-64

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 3:08 PM, Jeff Backus <jeff.backus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 3:53 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

>> > Here's a breakdown as arch percentage over time:
>> >
>> > https://twitter.com/mattdm/status/1003701941724172295
>> >
>> > Looks like the 50:50 point was about five years ago.
>> >

>> For F26,F27,F28 for the first 150 days of the year:
>>
>> Days:  150
>> X86_32: 3769.4 avg/day
>> X86_64: 159540 avg/day
>> Ratio (32/64) 0.0236267 (1:42)
>>
>> The reason is that the majority of i386 users are not moving off of
>> dead/old releases. For the month of May
>>
>> Avg/day release
>> 28623.7 epel6
>> 16009.2 epel5
>> 4043.37 f25
>> 3318.53 f20
>> 2759.2 f08
>> 2127.8 f23
>> 1589.63 f27
>> 1401.7 f22
>> 1371 f26
>> 1277.53 f21
>> 1056.33 f28
>> 874.2 f24
>> 733.8 f14
>> 562.533 f19
>> 509.067 f11
>>
>> In comparison, x86_64 is mostly living on the latest release:
>> [smooge@data-analysis01 mirrors]$ grep '^2018-05-.* x86_64' out-2018
>> | awk '{print $3}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -bnr | head -n 15 | awk
>> '{print $1/30, $2}'
>> 671455 epel7
>> 605436 epel6
>> 87367.4 f27
>> 60159.7 f28
>> 37857.6 epel5
>> 34421.4 f26
>> 27011 f25
>> 19115.4 f23
>> 14292.2 f24
>> 8627.47 f22
>> 6603.3 f20
>> 5863.47 f21
>> 1413.37 modular_f28
>> 1091.87 f19
>> 868.833 f18
>>
>> The 30 is because only 30 days of May have been analyzed. [And yes
>> there are still many Fedora 08 systems showing up for x86_32]
>>
>> Personally I think the number of those systems which are running
>> Pentium III hardware with the latest OS are probably already on this
>> mailing list.. I expect that they would also be looking at only
>> needing to support a small subset of the software since running
>> GNOME/KDE with usually 128->512 MB of RAM is not possible. It also
>> would probably want a very stripped down installer since anaconda is
>> aimed at 'current' hardware... probably something like the images that
>> ARM-32 makes.
>

> Very good point!
>
> And wow! Fedora 08 was quite some time ago... :)

It was, and it was used as a long time as a base image for VMs
somewhere, which is probably where a lot of those numbers are coming
from. It would be really interesting if we could see a breakdown of VM
vs raw metal, as I am guessing a whole lot of the i686 is VM traffic.
I know I have at least 4 of those VMs per release checking in just for
kernel testing bits.  For a long time there was also a trend of people
running 32bit guests wherever they could to reduce memory footprint.