Re: [X86] Fwd: F29 System Wide Change: i686 Is For x86-64

> == Detailed description ==
> Currently, the i686 RPM packages are built in such a way that they are
> compatible with very old i686 systems, such as the Pentium III.  The
> only addition over the i686/Pentium Pro baseline is a requirement to
> support long NOPs, for Intel CET.  However, the majority of
> installations of i686 packages is for use on x86_64 systems, as
> multi-lib RPMs.

Based on what data?

>  Furthermore, there are reports that the i686 kernel
> does not run stable on old hardware which is not x86-64-capable (
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/x86@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/ZHV6I4IEO7GRYAZ4TUMO5VH2ZHLCNJZQ/
> ).

On some, not all.

> This proposal suggests to accept this reality and build the i686
> packages in such a way that they require the ISA level of (early)
> x86-64 CPUs.

On which x86 CPU families will Fedora continue to work?
I think this change should have been discussed on the x86 SIG mailing
list first, as it essentially goes against what the SIG had been
trying to do and deprives it of its purpose.