Re: F29 System Wide Change: i686 Is For x86-64

On Monday, June 4, 2018, 4:35:34 AM, Jan Kurik wrote:
> = Proposed System Wide Change: i686 Is For x86-64 =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/i686_Is_For_x86-64

> Owner(s):
>   * Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>

> Fedora builds its i686 packages for use on x86-64 systems as multi-lib RPMs.

> == Detailed description ==
> Currently, the i686 RPM packages are built in such a way that they are
> compatible with very old i686 systems, such as the Pentium III.  The
> only addition over the i686/Pentium Pro baseline is a requirement to
> support long NOPs, for Intel CET.  However, the majority of
> installations of i686 packages is for use on x86_64 systems, as
> multi-lib RPMs.  Furthermore, there are reports that the i686 kernel
> does not run stable on old hardware which is not x86-64-capable (
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/x86@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/ZHV6I4IEO7GRYAZ4TUMO5VH2ZHLCNJZQ/
> ).
> This proposal suggests to accept this reality and build the i686
> packages in such a way that they require the ISA level of (early)
> x86-64 CPUs.

> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners:
> Adjust the redhat-rpm-config, gcc, and glibc packages to switch to the
> new compiler flags. Except for mstackrealign, there is substantial
> experience with this configuration downstream.

> * Other developers:
> Other developers can enable SSE2 optimization in their packages if
> they want, where this has been a compile-time option only.

> * Release engineering:
> https://pagure.io/releng/issues/7543 #7543

> ** List of deliverables: TBD

> * Policies and guidelines:
> i686 is no longer a primary architecture. The Packaging Guidelines do
> not currently require support for non-SSE2 x86 systems, so no change
> is required there.

I think this change is fundamentally wrong.

If  you  have  the 64-bit capable hardware, should not the focus be on
the  X84-64  modules?   The 32-bit modules are targeted to an entirely
different audience, who have already decided to take a performance hit
by running in 32-bit mode.

Requiring  64-bit  hardware  to run the 32-bit modules does not simply
impact the i686 secondary architecture - it fundamentally breaks it.

I  don't see this change as being reasonable unless the i686 secondary
arch is going to get a full parallel build to support i686 hardware. I
don't see that happening either.

Al