Re: F29 System Wide Change: Hide the grub menu

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 7:29 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-05-31 at 19:19 -0400, Ben Rosser wrote:
>> So, back to the topic of this thread: while I don't think this choice
>> belongs in the installer, I do think there should be detailed
>> instructions somewhere for end users on how to enable or disable the
>> grub boot menu, so they can _choose_ the behavior that they want. A
>> quick Google search for "fedora hide grub menu" turned up a blog post
>> or two, an ask.fp.o post, a couple forum threads, and a Stack Exchange
>> post as the first few results, which makes me believe it's not
>> currently well explained anywhere in our documentation?
>
> There's nothing Fedora-specific about it. It's just a grub config
> option.

Well, yes, that's true. But, from the justification presented earlier
in this thread, it seems like this change proposal is geared around
less technical users who may not know this?

My assumption right now is that there are people unhappy with seeing
the boot menu and want to not see the boot menu, hence this change
proposal. (If that's not true then I'm not sure why we should change
the behavior to begin with). If we don't change the default, we should
at least make sure they know how to get the behavior we want. And it
presumably goes without saying that if we do change the default, we
should document what was changed and how to get back the old behavior.

I think that philosophy applies even though this is nothing specific to Fedora.

Ben Rosser