Re: Valid use case for modularity or not?

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 9:35 AM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi all,

> I think I finally found a scenario where building some of my (and
others') packages as modules would be beneficial.

> The situation is:

> - The syncthing package has a lot of golang dependencies.
> - Some of them are too old in fedora, even in fedora rawhide, and some of
them have not been touched in years.
> - However, some other packages may depend on those older versions, or the
packagers don't have time to check for compatibility.

> The idea for a solution I came up with:

> - Build syncthing as a module.
> - Add "syncthing" branches to all incompatible dependencies (I guess I
have to request commit/admin access to do that for packages I don't own
yet?).
> - Update those branches to use the exact same commit as the vendored
sources in upstream syncthing.
> - Use those modules as dependencies for the syncthing module.

> Is that a valid, feasible use case of modularity?

You can kind of pigeonhole it into that, but I think you might be better
served by vendoring things you can't use from Fedora packages and going
from there.

The problem is that you're touching other people's packages and hoping they
don't make those branches go away. And at the end of it, the output would
be a single package that lives outside of the normal repo metadata and only
modularity-enabled clients would be able to install it.

The excludes most of the package managers that people can use in Fedora
right now.

It might make sense if you could describe which dist-git commit to use in
the module definition, regardless of what's actually released in the main
repos, and it would just build from those until you upgrade it. That would
avoid the need for branches in all the golang packages you need for
syncthing.