Re: Intel's Clear Linux optimizations

On Sat, 19 May 2018 16:24:17 +0530
Manas Mangaonkar <manasmangaonkar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For the record,I am going with the kernel Lts given that it has
> patches for meltdown & spectre.

There are recent kernels without the patches?  I think they are
standard in all fedora kernels.

To get your feet wet, you could build a standard Fedora kernel using
one of these processes.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/quick-docs/en-US/kernel/build-custom-kernel.html

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel/Source_RPM

Then, when you have that working, use the same procedure to build the
clear linux kernel from source.  That way you know that both compile
individually.

The final step is just to ensure that once the Fedora kernel is patched
to support clear linux, it compiles also.  Then it will support the
Fedora enhancements to the kernel that haven't made it upstream yet
(and might never), and will run on any fedora system.

I don't know if the clear linux kernel is compatible with other
architectures and video hardware.  If it isn't, it can only be run on
x86_64 with intel video hardware (no nvidia or amd additional video
hardware).  If it isn't compatible with other architectures or video
hardware, I don't think it makes sense to compile it as a Fedora
kernel, so you would be done after you get it building from source.
Not sure how useful such a kernel would be.