Re: Intel's Clear Linux optimizations

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 12:42:26AM +0200, František Zatloukal wrote:
> Hi,
> Phoronix recently release article[1] about Intel's Clear Linux with some
> cool graphs showing nice performance gain compared to Xubuntu.
>
> I didn't have time to dig in and look how it's performing against Fedora,
> but I'd assume Fedora can be compared to Xubuntu in terms of compiler
> settings.
>
> I think i'll be interesting to look into it and find out if Fedora can't
> tweak compiler settings (eg use LTO for critical things like Mesa, Kernel,
> ...). I think it could be interesting fo Fedora users to have this enabled
> if there are not any disadvantages other than compile time, compile memory
> usage and so on.
>
> What do you think?

The article you posted seems to concentrate on graphics performance
which I've not looked at.  However I have looked at Intel's boot /
container performance in great detail.

I'm doing a bit of work improving the performance of qemu and the
kernel to match what Intel Clear Linux can do (which is impressive,
especially for running containers securely).

Unfortunately the Intel kernel is heavily patched with non-upstream
patches, and not even patches which could become upstream (they do
things like commenting out chunks of code with single line commit
messages).  There's not really any way we can use the Intel work
directly.  Also Intel's kernel uses a very cut-down configuration, but
Fedora kernel developers would prefer (with good reason) to ship a
single kernel image for all use cases, and by necessity that is a
"full fat" kernel.

So it's a long process.  I've proposed a talk about this subject at
the KVM Forum 2016 at the end of August.

Rich.