Re: Prioritizing ~/.local/bin over /usr/bin on the PATH

On 4 May 2018 at 05:31, Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4.5.2018 10:50, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>>
>> I don't think I like the idea of putting it early in the PATH by
>> default, but I don't have a solid argument for why I don't like it.
>

> Thanks. Honestly, that's the feeling I get form this discussion. People
> don't like it, so they try to explain the reasons why it's bad and so far
> they fail IMHO.
>
>> None of the "security" arguments presented are convincing though.
>

> Exactly.
>
> I think that Debian/Ubuntu doing this, is also a strong argument (I mean, we
> are not doing it because of them, but we know it's not untested waters).
>
> Somebody said this probably needs a Fedora Change. Should we prep one?

I would do so for the following reasons:
1. Even though the security arguments are weak, they are going to be
checkmarks on audits which can't be changed for years.
2. When someone gets a "remove this and find out why the OS did this"
it helps if they can point to an "official" change versus an email.

> --
> Miro Hrončok
> --
> Phone: +420777974800