Re: plan to update brotli to 1.0.4 in Rawhide

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 3:45 PM, pouar@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well the minor version and the soname of the library itself changed but the
major version and the sonames of the symlinks pointing to the library
remained the same.

The first digit in the soname is what matters. E.g. I have on my machine libbrotlidec.so.0.6.0 and libbrotlienc.so.0.6.0. If the first 0 changes to 1, then that signals an ABI break, and libraries that depend on it need to be rebuilt. We call that a soname bump. If only the last two digits change, then the update is supposed to be ABI-compatible, and you don't need to worry about it.

Sometimes upstreams mess this up, though, so be careful.

Also 2 fields in BrotliDistanceParams changed positions,
but I'm not sure whether this is exposed to other packages or not.

Is the definition exposed in a public header? If so, then that would be an ABI break, and a soname bump would be required. Looks like BrotliDistanceParams is an implementation detail that's only declared in a private header, so it's not part of the API and you probably don't need to worry about it.