Re: Unacceptable size increase to ALL live images in F28: Noto CJK Fonts

Thanks Chris for the follow up.

I also wanted to go for OTC fonts, but both Akira Tagoh and Owen Taylor who are fonts rendering experts advised against switching this late in the cycle to the .ttc fonts in case there are any serious regressions for any apps (we are not aware of any yet but there could well be for some special apps that use fonts more directly). We should probably have been braver and tried for OTC from the start: I guess we were a little cautious in the beginning with this switch, and hadn't fully realised the size impact - the changes went in 2 months ago though...

So we made the hard but safe decision to revert back to the f27 CJK font set for F28 GA alas.

While the initial reaction was that the size increase was not such a big deal, it is now release blocker, and we are not getting sufficient help with the alternative workarounds so we felt better to revert early than have to scramble right before GA RC's etc or even delay the release because of this issue.

Thanks, Jens

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 5:38 AM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 11:30 AM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not everyone has a big fat broadband pipe and a huge transfer cap (or unlimited
> transfers).

It also put more pressure on our mirrors: with the many iso files increasing in size.