Re: Upcoming gdouros-*-fonts license change and subsequent complications

On Sun, Apr 08, 2018 at 02:55:49PM +0200, Alexander Ploumistos wrote:
> Hi Zbigniew,
>
> On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 07, 2018 at 10:44:41PM +0200, Alexander Ploumistos wrote:
> >> - If it is indeed incompatible, would trying to convince him to adopt
> >> a dual license scheme be the best course of action?
> > You know this probably better. Have you tried explaining why we have
> > the requirements we have, to preserve the freedom to use packages, etc?
>
> I have and I also have stressed the difference between us and a
> for-profit font repository, but I think I will need to revisit the
> topic…
>
> >> - If the new license prohibits us from distributing the fonts, do we
> >> need to drop the packages from Fedora or can we continue to use their
> >> current versions?
> > We can continue to use them. With fonts the "degradation" over time is
> > small (mostly we'd be missing new additions), so it should be OK to
> > have the frozen version for many years.
>
> My concern is if he can retroactively apply the new license to the
> older versions of the fonts. Is this a valid concern or is it not how
> licensing works?

In general, a license may contain termination clauses, based on time or
whatever other conditions. But this particular "license" that you quoted
in your original mail doesn't contain anything like this, so imo it
is valid forever.

Zbyszek