Re: FC4 slimfast slimfest

On 02/21/2005 12:35:34 PM, Elliot Lee wrote:
Hi all,

Here's a heads up that we need to get rid of about 300M of packages to
make sure that FC4 continues to fit on 4 CD's. Right now eclipse,
xfce,
xemacs, cfengine, and all the games are leading candidates. We also
may
try to start removing stuff from Core in hopes that it will appear in
Extras if someone cares about it.

I would take a look at the alternatives that aren't planned to be pushed - like AbiWord, Gnumeric, Balsa

Now - those particular packages are packages I personally use quite a bit as I don't use OO.o or Evolution - but if they remained in Extras, I would still be able to install them and thus be happy. I would prefer they were on the core install, but they _are_ alternatives that duplicate functionallity to what is installed by default when you click the "Desktop" install.

As long as there isn't a delay for Extras for fc4 like there was for fc3 (IE the day fc4 ships, I could yum install them)

Epiphany is another one - I was a die hard epiphany fan, but firefox really is that good.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/