Re: Status of OwnCloud/NextCloud

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 12:59 PM Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 04.04.2018 um 17:36 schrieb Stephen Gallagher:
> Hopefully this will become easier once we get the PHP maintainers to
> move over to building Fedora Modules. Then we can decouple the PHP
> updates from the Fedora release and we can tie the NextCloud streams to
> a known-working PHP stream

thanks god i biuld the PHP stack for a decade on my own - go away with
the "modules and atomic only attitude" - or at least don't compromise
parts of Fedora which i still prefer as distribution packages - that
won't change and before it changes 40 machines are moved to a different
distribution

OK,  I'm going to try to translate this, because it wasn't altogether coherent.

I *suspect* you're confusing the version of Modularity that we're shipping in Fedora 28 Beta with the one we prototyped and abandoned during the Fedora 26 and 27 cycles.

The short version is that Modules *are* distribution packages. They're just distribution packages that allow you to pick which major release stream you want to stay on. We also have a distribution-level defaults setup that allows you to pick one stream from the module and call that the "default" for a particular Fedora release. Once that stream is so marked, it just shows up automatically in DNF identically to the way that traditional distribution RPMs do today. So let's say that in Fedora 28 you make PHP into a module with the stream "7.2". We mark that as the default. People can then `dnf install php` exactly as they always could; the only thing they might see different would be the %{release} tag of the RPM.

Now, let's assume that PHP upstream decided to release 8.0 next month. Fedora 29 would probably use that as its default module and would package the same way as the above. *However*, you now also have the opportunity to mark the module as being available for both F28 and F29 and the Module Build Service would produce it for both. And now users of Fedora 28 can opt in to 8.0 before F29 is released if they want to. And the reverse is true as well: when upgrading to Fedora 29, users can opt to keep their version of PHP on 7.2 to continue supporting their application.

So, to recap, packaging as modules means you can avoid people complaining about
1) "The version in Fedora is too old! I want the latest one!"
2) "I upgraded to the new Fedora release and my application stopped working!"