Re: Kernel updates breaking grub configuration with tuned

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 2:00 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 3:43 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 12:58 PM, Christopher
>> <ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > So, I've been seeing this problem recently where every time I update the
>> > Fedora kernel (currently F27), my grub configuration gets mangled.
>> >
>> > I have tuned installed, so it has installed /etc/grub.d/00_tuned, which
>> > executes /etc/tuned/bootcmdline, which in turn spits out when
>> > grub2-mkconfig
>> > is run.
>>
>> What variant of Fedora are you using? I'm pretty sure only the atomic
>> host variants are using grub2-mkconfig after a kernel update.
>> Conventional Fedora products use grubby.
>>
>> What version of grubby do you have? When did you first notice the problem?
>>

> It's not atomic. It's based on one of the cloud AMIs from F26 (HVM, GP2),
> using grubby. I'm not sure how to trace it back to the original image I
> used... I've created new AMIs since then with latest dnf updates.
>
> I noticed the problem after doing a DNF system-upgrade from F26 to F27 and
> then subsequently installing tuned, and then after the next kernel update.
> I've seen this for at least the last 4 kernel updates in Fedora 27 (at least
> 3 of which involved being stuck at grub> until I finally figured out how to
> fix the config file manually before rebooting) .
>
> Currently running fully up-to-date:
>
> grubby-8.40-8.fc27.x86_64
> kernel-core-4.15.12-301.fc27.x86_64
> tuned-2.9.0-1.fc27.noarch
>
> The following grub2 packages are installed:
>
> grub2-common-2.02-22.fc27.noarch
> grub2-pc-2.02-22.fc27.x86_64
> grub2-pc-modules-2.02-22.fc27.noarch
> grub2-tools-2.02-22.fc27.x86_64
> grub2-tools-efi-2.02-22.fc27.x86_64
> grub2-tools-extra-2.02-22.fc27.x86_64
> grub2-tools-minimal-2.02-22.fc27.x86_64
>
> $ tuned-adm active
> Current active profile: network-latency

Looks like grubby doesn't handle
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_tuned ###
set tuned_initrd=""
set tuned_params="skew_tick=1"
### END /etc/grub.d/00_tuned ###

Offhand this seems like a weird way to insert a boot parameter. I
wonder if it's effectively malforming the grub.cfg in a way that
grubby then further messes up with each modification.

I suggest creating a new clean grub.cfg with grub2-mkconfig, and then
post that somewhere. Then run 'rpm -q --scripts -p $KERNEL_PACKAGE'
then run each of the grubby commands from %post and %posttrans along
with --debug and post the outputs of those somewhere along with the
updated grub.cfg which should show the problem.

--
Chris Murphy