Re: Kernel updates breaking grub configuration with tuned

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 3:43 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 12:58 PM, Christopher
<ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So, I've been seeing this problem recently where every time I update the
> Fedora kernel (currently F27), my grub configuration gets mangled.
>
> I have tuned installed, so it has installed /etc/grub.d/00_tuned, which
> executes /etc/tuned/bootcmdline, which in turn spits out when grub2-mkconfig
> is run.

What variant of Fedora are you using? I'm pretty sure only the atomic
host variants are using grub2-mkconfig after a kernel update.
Conventional Fedora products use grubby.

What version of grubby do you have? When did you first notice the problem?

It's not atomic. It's based on one of the cloud AMIs from F26 (HVM, GP2), using grubby. I'm not sure how to trace it back to the original image I used... I've created new AMIs since then with latest dnf updates.

I noticed the problem after doing a DNF system-upgrade from F26 to F27 and then subsequently installing tuned, and then after the next kernel update.
I've seen this for at least the last 4 kernel updates in Fedora 27 (at least 3 of which involved being stuck at grub> until I finally figured out how to fix the config file manually before rebooting) .

Currently running fully up-to-date:

grubby-8.40-8.fc27.x86_64
kernel-core-4.15.12-301.fc27.x86_64
tuned-2.9.0-1.fc27.noarch

The following grub2 packages are installed:

grub2-common-2.02-22.fc27.noarch
grub2-pc-2.02-22.fc27.x86_64
grub2-pc-modules-2.02-22.fc27.noarch
grub2-tools-2.02-22.fc27.x86_64