Re: Avoiding Jargon: dist-git

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 4:53 PM, Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dne 24.3.2018 v 06:59 Christopher napsal(a):
>> Can we stop saying "dist-git" in our docs? Nobody knows what that is.
>> The service at https://src.fedoraproject.org is clearly branded as "Fedora Package Sources".
>
> BTW dist-git is (for some time) documented quite well:
>   https://github.com/release-engineering/dist-git
>
> And AFAIK the Pagure is frontend to "just" that git part. It does not handle lookaside cache at all.

I think that's kind of Christopher's point. We use "dist-git"
pervasively to refer to our package repositories, but from a
packager's perspective they are more or less just normal git
repositories. I can interact with them using normal git commands. The
only thing that makes these "dist-git" repositories special is the
existence of the lookaside cache, but I don't know that this is enough
to motivate using an entirely separate term to describe the
repositories.

Looking at the dist-git README further reinforces this impression. The
first sentence says: "DistGit (Distributed Git) is Git with additional
data storage". My initial reaction to that is "so, it is basically
just git". My second reaction is "why does additional data storage
somehow make git (a distributed version control system) even _more_
distributed?".

The rest of the README goes onto describe technical details about
dist-git and then includes a "user's guide", which is helpful... if
you are a user trying to set up infrastructure. It's not very relevant
to a packager trying to learn their way around things.

Ben Rosser