Re: Using the Fedora infra for crypto-mining

On 03/19/2018 08:38 AM, Michal Novotny wrote:
> Hello Dridi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 10:13 AM, Dridi Boukelmoune
> <dridi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> Since I work on a project that uses the Coverity Scan free plan for
>> open source software it came to my attention today that free scans
>> were put on hold and resumed recently because people were abusing it
>> for crypto mining.
>>
>> Since I couldn't find any discussion on this list around this topic I
>> figured I could start one, if only to ask whether this is a
>> possibility for Fedora. If I'm not mistaken you don't need much more
>> than a FAS account to host COPR repositories and run builds.
>>
>> Could someone abuse the infra in such a way?
>
> Builds are being automatically terminated if not finished in 18 hours.
> The virtual machines that builds run on are also not particularly strong
> so if anyone tried to mine something by this method, he wouldn't
> get particularly rich :).
>
> Also, we would probably find out because of long-running builds
> are easy to discover thanks to the public build queue (it is also not
> like we would be running 1000 builds at once, then it would be hard
> to track).
>
> So I wouldn't be really worried about this.

koji also has a timeout.

To be completely clear here, crypto-mining is not a valid use of Fedora
Project resources. Hopefully our community realizes and respects this.

If it becomes a problem we would of course have to spend some time in
detection and killing such processes, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

kevin