Re: Use Noto Sans UI for Cantarell fallback in Workstation?

It is my upstream opinion that the entire free desktop landscape should use Noto Sans/Serif (UI) as the default (fallback) font for everything and not ship anything else in a base system, except DejaVu Mono because Noto Mono has only a regular face.

Self-quote:

> The difference between Noto Sans UI and Noto Sans is that UI keeps the vertical height the same across all scripts, so text height doesn't jump when multiple scripts turn up on the same line or you switch from one script to the next.
>
> Noto Sans (UI) should be the default (fallback) font for everything anyway, as it is the most-well funded professional, open-source, active font development effort spanning the most languages. The alternatives for different languages commonly shipping with distros don't even compare in quality.

Side-note: changing the default (fallback) sans font has side-effects: websites relying on DejaVu being the default sans have their text appear smaller.