Use Noto Sans UI for Cantarell fallback in Workstation?

Hi all,

In Workstation, our UI font is Cantarell.

I was chatting to Cantarell's upstream maintainer, Nikolaus Waxweiler
yesterday and he said that we should be using Noto Sans UI as a fallback
for glyphs where Cantarell lacks coverage (cyrillic, for example). Right
now we're falling back to DejaVu Sans, which looks a bit out of place;
Noto Sans UI would be a much closer match to Cantarell.

I've opened a ticket in the Workstation issue tracker to consider
changing the fallback for F28, but I'm largely clueless about fonts in
general and would appreciate any feedback, both positive and negative,
and any help from fonts people to actually make it happen (changing
fontconfig fallbacks and priorities etc).

https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/36

Thanks, and please let me know if you think this doesn't make any sense
(and also if it does!). :)

Kalev