Re: Gating packages in Rawhide

> Greetings fellow Fedorans!
>
> I would like to kick off a general discussion about how we might gate
> packages in Rawhide. I think it would be nice to get something in place
> for the Fedora 29 timeframe.
>
> As one of the Bodhi contributors, I am inclined to suggest that we could
> use Bodhi on Rawhide, similar to how we use it for our stable/branched
> releases, with more relaxed rules (perhaps 1 day in testing or something
> simple).
We need a better approach for this, since I am not exactly sure what this
solve as it just waiting for only 1 day.

> It may be possible to automate the process a bit to make it less heavy
> for developers, though there is some complication for multi-package
> updates (more on that in a bit). For simple package updates, we may be
> able to detect new commits on dist-git, and react to those by
> automatically starting a Koji build, and automatically filing a Bodhi
> update when that build is complete. I think that would be pretty nice,
> and pingou created a PoC[0] to do this about a year ago.
I am not sure if this is possible with arbitrary branches.
People can now build from different branches that does not follow
fedora release branches, so it will be difficult to identify which buildroot
to build it against. And pingou is planning to update pagure over dist-git to
able to build from one branch rather than different branches.

> Multi-package updates won't be so easy though. It's not uncommon for us
> to need to update packages together, and the above workflow would be
> problematic since it would result in updates with single packages in
> them rather than updates with multiple packages. Of course, buildroot
> overrides would be a problem too, since multi-package updates often
> depend on each other at build time too.
>
> We could create some way for packagers to indicate that a commit (or
> possibly even a whole repo) is not intended to be "autobuilt/updated".
> If the packager indicates this then their builds would go into a
> rawhide-pending (similar to what we do for f27 today). Once they have
> all their builds (and buildroot overrides) the way they want them, they
> can create the update.
Same as my above comment.