Re: Gating packages in Rawhide

On Fri, 2018-03-09 at 10:06 +0100, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 08:26:30PM -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > >
> > > Some automation would help, sure. But if we are going to do
> > > things
> > > automatically, why bother with Bodhi at all?
> >
> > Well, we don't currently have another tool to show results and
> > allow
> > waving of them. We could come up with another app and have yet a
> > different place and workflow from regular releases, but why not
> > stick to
> > the same workflow and avoid making yet another app.
> > >
> > > We are already building into a pending tag for the autosigning,
> > > from which
> > > the packages are moved into the final tag when they are signed.
> > > The same
> > > process should work for autotesting. Just add it before or after
> > > the
> > > autosigning in the pipeline, possibly with another intermediate
> > > tag.
> > >
> > > I think that Bodhi is really the wrong tool for the job here.
> > > What you are
> > > trying to hit with your shiny hammer may look like a nail to you,
> > > but it is
> > > really a screw. ;-)
> >
> > I don't think thats the case here, it's more than we don't want to
> > build
> > another different tool for something that could work with the
> > hammer we
> > have.
> >
> > To be fair, there was a suggestion that we show results in
> > pagure/src.fedoraproject.org, but to me, that definitely sounds
> > like the
> > wrong place for such things. We want tests tied to a specific
> > update,
> > not the entire package as a whole. (Even thought we could fudge
> > this by
> > having git tags or something to tie results to).
>
> For regular Fedora releases I definitely agree with you, but for
> rawhide where
> the only time we bundle package together would be via side-tags, I
> think
> reporting test results to src.fp.o would be a valid approach.

We could take a hint from how we make software upstream these days:

1. submit a pull request for the package in src.fp.o on the master
   branch
2. a CI automatically builds this package in Koji
3. merge the pull request into master
4. the build (from step 2) is tagged for Rawhide, without a rebuild

Gating is achieved by preventing merges if the build/tests fail.

--
Mathieu