Re: Broken system upgrade due to rich dependencies

PM> It's not a solution because doing so usually drags half the distro
PM> along due to library dependencies etc.

That's true if you're updating to the rpm/dnf/whatever from the distro
you want to upgrade to.  That's not true if you're updating to a new
version of rpm/dnf/whatever which supports the new features you need but
which has been built for the version of the distro you're currently
running.

But yes, I know how unpleasant it would be to have to somehow maintain
that magical package set in a separate "you're about to update your
distro" repository, and that it could still have issues when the minimum
supported versions of dependencies change.  Is it worse than some of the
other solutions?  I'm not sure.

 - J<