Re: Broken system upgrade due to rich dependencies

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 5:52 AM, Igor Gnatenko wrote:

> And you forgot:
> 5. Teach DNF to use "target" DNF/RPM stack to perform upgrade (best and
> proper way).

If you're using yum/dnf inside a container, the natural way to major upgrades is
to just pull the new base image and rebuild, rather than doing update-in-place.
Which has the semantics you're talking about.

For rpm-ostree, if you have no layered packages, depsolving etc. is not involved
at all, so it's completely immune to this problem.  If you have layered packages,
we do still use the libdnf from the booted deployment, but in the end if something
doesn't work you can temporarily drop your layered packages.  Down the line we might
try to do some libdnf parts inside a container in the new root, but that's a huge change.