Re: Proposal to increase the beta freeze to 3 weeks

On Tue, 2017-11-21 at 10:05 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 4:22 AM, Jan Kurik <jkurik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > How many of the last "long" freezes have happened because of bad
> > > software and how much has happened because other issues caused
> > > composes to actually test not to be created? We "seem" to spend a lot
> > > of the freeze working for an actual working compose before we can
> > > actually see what is going on in with the software that people want.
> > >
> > > Would it make more sense to just have the Freeze not start until we
> > > have a bootable compose? [I realize this is a overflowing stack
> > > recursive loop if not defined adequetely define bootable but if QA
> > > can't test an install until week 2 of the freeze.. we weren't ready to
> > > freeze for packages.
> >
> > I do not think this is the case.
> >
> > In general there are two types of composes. We have nightly composes
> > and we have RC composes. The nightly composes are built on daily basis
> > and even these fail from time to time, we mostly have a new "bootable
> > compose" every day. The reason why we spent most of the time of a
> > Freeze period waiting for an RC compose is a condition that an RC
> > compose must not contain any known blocker. So, it is not matter of
> > the compose it self, it is a matter of fixing know blockers before QA
> > can ask for and RC compose. Also the reason why a Freeze period is
> > prolonged is typically an unresolved blocker(s). From outside it might
> > look like an issue with an RC compose it self, but in fact the RC
> > compose is typically blocked by a blocker bug(s).
> >
> > Note: what I wrote above does not apply to Fedora Modular Server,
> > which is a special case due to extensive changes in development
> > infrastructure.
> >

> So then my question is, *why* do we do freezes at all then? Can't we
> just cherry-pick updates into compose trees independently?

We do freezes so that people don't suddenly make an unneeded change to
the base content which causes a new release-blocking bug.

If we don't have freezes, we run the risk of getting to the point where
we're almost done, there's just one more blocker to fix, and....someone
lands a new version of glibc that breaks everything. (Etc.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey