Re: Proposal to increase the beta freeze to 3 weeks

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 7:45 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 17 November 2017 at 13:30, Randy Barlow <randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Greetings fellow Fedorans!
>>
>> During today's FESCo meeting[0], there was discussion around a proposal
>> to increase the freeze period from 2 weeks to 3 weeks[1]. Several
>> members of FESCo thought this proposal might be unpopular with Fedora
>> developers, so a compromise proposal was made: increase the beta freeze
>> to 3 weeks, but keep the stable freeze at 2 weeks[2].
>>
>> We would like to ask for feedback from the Fedora community about this
>> proposal. Feel free to reply here, or comment on the FESCo ticket.
>> Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
>
> How many of the last "long" freezes have happened because of bad
> software and how much has happened because other issues caused
> composes to actually test not to be created? We "seem" to spend a lot
> of the freeze working for an actual working compose before we can
> actually see what is going on in with the software that people want.
>
> Would it make more sense to just have the Freeze not start until we
> have a bootable compose? [I realize this is a overflowing stack
> recursive loop if not defined adequetely define bootable but if QA
> can't test an install until week 2 of the freeze.. we weren't ready to
> freeze for packages.

I do not think this is the case.

In general there are two types of composes. We have nightly composes
and we have RC composes. The nightly composes are built on daily basis
and even these fail from time to time, we mostly have a new "bootable
compose" every day. The reason why we spent most of the time of a
Freeze period waiting for an RC compose is a condition that an RC
compose must not contain any known blocker. So, it is not matter of
the compose it self, it is a matter of fixing know blockers before QA
can ask for and RC compose. Also the reason why a Freeze period is
prolonged is typically an unresolved blocker(s). From outside it might
look like an issue with an RC compose it self, but in fact the RC
compose is typically blocked by a blocker bug(s).

Note: what I wrote above does not apply to Fedora Modular Server,
which is a special case due to extensive changes in development
infrastructure.

Jan

>>  [0]
>> https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2017-11-17/fesco.2017-11-17-16.03.html
>> [1] https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/1790
>> [2] https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/1790#comment-480090

> --
> Stephen J Smoogen.

Jan Kuřík
Platform & Fedora Program Manager
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic