Re: Why size of repositories metadata is too high in Fedora?

On Thu, 01 Mar 2018 14:29:45 -0000
"Farhad Mohammadi Majd" <farhadbenyamin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello, in Debian (9, stable), size of all the official repositories
> metadata is maximum 10MB, while in Fedora, today I ran "dnf update"
> for first time after installing Fedora 27
> (Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-27-1.6) and it took 20+58MB for two
> official repositories!
>
> It is really too high, why there is such difference? why don't
> optimize it and fix this problem?

I don't have any intimate knowledge of this.  But you are comparing
apples and oranges.  Apt and dnf.  Either the format of the meta data
must be very different for the two, or apt must send much less meta
data.

You aren't alone in complaining about this.  Whenever an update occurs,
all the meta data has to be downloaded again.  People on limited
quantity connections find this onerous.  There has been discussion of
making the meta data update an incremental update, but the format of
meta data doesn't lend itself well to doing this.  And the delta files
would put a lot of extra files on repo hosts.

I think you can be assured that if there was a simple optimization that
could take care of this, it would have already been applied.