Re: Proposal: new really minimal 'System' group (Core reduced more)

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 10:57 AM, David Demelier <markand@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was searching a very possible minimal dnf group for chroot builds. It
> looks like the 'Core' group already minimal contains lots of packages
> that may be unneeded in containers/chroot scenarios. For example:
>
>   - sssd,
>   - cronie,
>   - selinux packages,
>   - NetworkManager,
>   - firewalld (host already have),
>   - grubby,
>   - kbd,
>   - e2fsprogs (in chroot, you usually don't need any disk tool)
>   - small minor packages.
>
> That's why I propose a brand new group that targets extremely minimal
> chroot or basic appliances machines with the following list:
>
> Group: System
>  Mandatory Packages:
>    basesystem
>    bash
>    coreutils
>    curl
>    dhcp-client
>    dnf
>    dnf-yum
>    filesystem
>    glibc
>    hostname
>    initscripts
>    iproute
>    iputils
>    less
>    man-db
>    ncurses
>    openssh-clients
>    openssh-server
>    passwd
>    procps-ng
>    rootfiles
>    rpm
>    setup
>    shadow-utils
>    sudo
>    systemd
>    vim-minimal
>  Default Packages:
>   (none)
>  Optional Packages:
>   (none)
>  Conditional Packages:
>   (none)
>
> I'm also thinking about the name 'base' similar to 'base-x'. What's
> your thoughts on that?

We actually have a basesystem metapackage in Fedora that functions in
this manner. Try that and see if it serves your needs.

For minimal setups, I usually use "dnf
--setopt=install_weak_deps=False install basesystem fedora-release",
which gets the smallest subset without a package manager. Add "dnf"
and you have the package manager too.