Re: Unannounced soname bump (Rawhide): qpdf (libqpdf.so.18 -> libqpdf.so.21)

El mié, 28-02-2018 a las 12:32 +0100, Ralf Corsepius escribió:
> On 02/28/2018 12:21 PM, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> > > I would be very opposed to this.
> > >
> > > Even though some folks want rawhide to appear a release, rawhide
> > > is
> > > not a release. So SONAME breakages are expected to happen in
> > > rawhide
> > > and maintainers supposed to be reacted upon.
> >
> > Yes, if they notice!
>
> They - rsp. the maintainers of dependent packages - (usually) will
> notice very soon, because they'll receive an email notifying them
> about
> the breakage.

Actually they will not receive any such email currently, the tool that
sends the emails has had sending email turned off because it does not
understand rich and boolean dependencies and was creating a lot of
noise. Announcing is the polite thing to do. It can also help a
maintainer get help, or allow someone to raise concerns. some soname
bumps are handled in side tags because we know that the ABI will break
or a very large amount of packages will be affected. I would like us to
figure out how to deal with soname breakages in a more automated way.
It however needs people to write new tooling to be able to cope with
it, I currently do not have enough cycles to take on doing the work.
So if someone wants a project to do please come and talk to me about
it.

Dennis