Re: F29 System Wide Change: Remove GCC from BuildRoot

Dne 19.2.2018 v 00:52 Dennis Gilmore napsal(a):
El vie, 16-02-2018 a las 12:56 +0100, Jan Kurik escribió:
Proposed System Wide Change: Remove GCC from BuildRoot
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Remove_GCC_from_BuildRoot

Owner(s):
  * Igor Gnatenko <ignatenkobrain at fedoraproject dot org>

Removing gcc and gcc-c++ from default buildroot in Koji and mock.

== Detailed description ==
Since beginning of Fedora, gcc (and gcc-c++) are installed in every
buildroot. Times have changed and nowadays many of packages are not
written in C/C++, they are written in Python, Ruby, Node.js, Go,
Rust,
OCaml, Perl and so on so they don't need to have C/C++ compiler.
Installing gcc and gcc-c++ takes time so if we remove it, we can
improve build times for many of the packages.
What is the expected savinsg in time for builds?

It depends who is your target audience. These were the numbers for me last time we discussed this specific question:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/LWC5L53CD2BLJKSF2XXZ4D57MS2WXEJL/

BTW it is interesting, that although Perl was removed since the last time, the minimal buildroot is bigger than it used to be and it takes longer to install then it used to:

Install  171 Packages

Total download size: 128 M
Installed size: 494 M

real    1m17,327s
user    0m55,004s
sys    0m6,176s

V.

 I realise it is hard
to measure, however it should only be a second or two per build at
most. Buildroot creation time is really not the slowest piece of the
pipeline. There is a lot of other areas that I feel would net a bigger
win. For instance machine learning bots to do package reviews and
package maintainenece, where changes like this could be automatically
built in to the package maintainece lifecycle.

Dennsi