Re: RANT: Packaging is changing too fast and is not well documented

On samedi 10 février 2018 14:48:04 CET Richard Shaw wrote:
> <RANT>
> So I went to request a new branch of an existing package only to find out
> fedrepo-req-branch, which hasn't been around that long is already
> depreceated and the facility brought into fedpkg... so:
>
> $ fedpkg request-branch <branch>
> Could not execute request_branch: The "token" value must be set under the
> "fedpkg.pagure" section in your "fedpkg" user configuration
>
> Ok, so where does that get stored?
>
> $ man fedpkg
> (not in there...)
> $ vi /usr/share/doc/fedpkg/README
> (not in there...)
>
> I figured out somewhere else that the default config is in
> /etc/rpkg/fedpkg.conf (In /etc/rpkg? That's intuitive!) but I didn't want
> to add my token to the site wide config so the search continues...
>
> $ rpm -ql fedpkg
> (pokes around)
> $ vi /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/fedpkg/__main__.py
> def main():
>     default_user_config_path = os.path.join(
>         os.path.expanduser('~'), '.config', 'rpkg', '%s.conf' % cli_name)
>
> Found it!
>
> Now which token do I need? The one from the src.fedoraproject.org pagure or
> pagure.io?
>
> Oh and the tokens expire all the time and don't seem to have any helper
> scripts to automate updating of the tokens so I have to remember where they
> all are and manually edit them every time...
>
> </RANT>
>
> Not coming from a programming background I found the learning curve pretty
> steep when I first tried to become a packager, I'm not sure I wouldn't have
> given up if I had to do it now.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

I wasn't even aware of this new use of fedpkg, but you could just have looked
the help instead of searcghinq the source code:

$ fedpkg request-repo --help
usage: fedpkg request-repo [-h] [--description DESCRIPTION]
                           [--monitor {no-monitoring,monitoring,monitoring-
with-scratch}]
                           [--upstreamurl UPSTREAMURL] [--summary SUMMARY]
                           [--exception]
                           [bug]

Request a new dist-git repository

Before requesting a new dist-git repository for a new package, you need to
generate a pagure.io API token at https://pagure.io/settings/token/new, and
save it
into your local user configuration located at ~/.config/rpkg/fedpkg.conf. For
example:

    [fedpkg.pagure]
    token = <api_key_here>

Below is a basic example of the command to request a dist-git repository for
the package foo:

    fedpkg --module-name foo request-repo 1234

positional arguments:
  bug                   Bugzilla bug ID of the package review request

optional arguments:
  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  --description DESCRIPTION, -d DESCRIPTION
                        The repo's description in dist-git
  --monitor {no-monitoring,monitoring,monitoring-with-scratch}, -m {no-
monitoring,monitoring,monitoring-with-scratch}
                        The Koshei monitoring type for the repo
  --upstreamurl UPSTREAMURL, -u UPSTREAMURL
                        The upstream URL of the project
  --summary SUMMARY, -s SUMMARY
                        Override the package's summary from the Bugzilla bug
  --exception           The package is an exception to the regular package
                        review process (specifically, it does not require a
                        Bugzilla bug)