Re: Clean up your spec files

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 10:45 AM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dne 8.2.2018 v 16:39 Kamil Dudka napsal(a):
>> On Thursday, February 8, 2018 4:21:53 PM CET Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
>>> On 8 February 2018 at 15:03, Kamil Dudka <kdudka@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> [..]

>>> Theoretically you may be right. In practice  .. nope.
>>> There is no any reasons to use in Fedora spec file which is not
>>> readable/simple as it is only possible because someone who is not focused
>>> on Fedora want to make it universal without testing it on all possible
>>> distributions on every new version released.
>>>
>>> kloczek
>> For example logrotate upstream maintains a spec file that is regularly updated
>> and CI-tested by Travis:
>>
>> https://github.com/logrotate/logrotate/commits/master/logrotate.spec.in
>>
>> Spec files of csdiff, cscppc, csmock, and cswrap are produced by make-srpm.sh
>> maintained in the upstream git repositories.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Spec_Maintenance_and_Canonicity
>
> Not saying it contradicts the guideline above, just FYI.

In practice, there are several projects that blatantly ignore this.
Off the top of my head:

* OpenStack libraries and client packages (RDO)
* libvirt stack packages (excluding php-libvirt, as I maintain that
and have no rights to the libvirt-php repo)
* Cockpit packages

There's some hand-waviness with a few that I know of:

* Many PHP stack packages maintained by Remi (remirepo<->fedora)
* Compiler/toolchain packages (SCLized for non-Fedora)

I'm somewhat doing this with one package:
* snapd (Fedora is the canonical location, but changes are synced
between upstream and Fedora regularly for upstream CI support)