Re: kernel component on bugzilla and call for "old bugs hunting season" to pen

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 4:03 PM, Tomasz Kłoczko
<kloczko.tomasz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In last two years, I've created something between 10 to 20 tickets against
> the kernel.
> Today after reboot on latest rc9 I found OOPS in dmesg and as usually, my
> first thought was "raise the ticket". Just after this was second one .. "but
> none of my kernel tickets has been replied or even closed as DUP!!".

Triage is a problem, we have pointed that out several times (including
flock last year). While I can guarantee that every bug filed against
the kernel is looked at by a maintainer, we typically do not take the
time to comment/reassign/etc.  There aren't many of us, and a lot to
do.  I read all of the bugs as they come in via email.  I am not
entirely sure about the workflow of jcline and labbott, but I would
expect it is similar.
We do typically send out a mass needinfo on kernel bugs shortly after
a rebase, which helps to close out bugs which have been fixed, get
more information on bugs that are still occurring, and after a period
of time. close out bugs where the reporter is unresponsive.  I did not
do this for the 4.14 rebases as it slipped my mind between vacation
and holidays. I expect Laura or Jeremy will do so after the 4.15
rebases.

> So I've done some search on Bugzilla for kernel tickets in NEW state.
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&component=kernel&list_id=8346373&order=changeddate%2Cpriority%2Cbug_severity&product=Fedora&query_based_on=&query_format=advanced
>
> Above shows list of current kernel tickets in NEW state with older tickets
> on top.
> There are 691 such tickets and older is from 2009.
>
> It would be good to clean this mess because in current state opening any new
> tickets do not make to much sense.
>
> I'm asking for helping anyone who has Bugzilla account.
> It would be good to start "bugs hunting season" to close as much as possible
> already outdated tickets.
>
> All Fedora NEW tickets sorted from oldest as first is possible to display by
> going to URL:
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&list_id=8346395&order=changeddate%2Cpriority%2Cbug_severity&product=Fedora&query_based_on=&query_format=advanced
>
> There is now not closed and in NEW state 14474 such tickets.
>

> 1) Probably it would be good start posting one time a week summary stats
> about Bugzilla tickets. Any volunteer to create such weekly report?

                26       27        rawhide
open:       243     191      288            (722)

Since 2017-12-27
opened:   7         69        15              (91)
closed:     7         36        13              (56)

This is the stats for the past 30 days, which are fairly bad because
1)  a *lot* of time has been taken to deal with Spectre/Meltdown and
2) Most kernel folks weren't working for the holidays, and half the
team was travelling last week. I will be happy to start sending out
such reports to the kernel list monthly.

> 2) Q: do we need new kernel package maintainer or secondary co maintainers?

We currently have 2.5 maintainers, and I believe the .5 is ramping up
to a full time 3.   We have asked several times over the years for
people to help with triage, and even have a lovely step by step guide:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelBugTriage Very few people seem
interested.