Problems debugging problems... formerly Re: Wyland is a disaster

On 01/21/2018 07:23 AM, Tom Hughes wrote:
Not really. It's a grab bag of different things that may or not be related to Wayland.

I think this problem is compounded by the fact that Wayland and several other system features such as Gnome session setup are very integrated, and it's hard to debug them.

For instance, I observed a reliable desktop session crash on exiting Pan newsreader. I don't know how to debug it because it crashes the session and I get logged out.

This is a pretty serious issue in my opinion, because if I can crash the entire desktop session then it's not unreasonable to expect fuzzing issues with serious security implications (e.g. snooping on your desktop session from code running in the browser).

I tried to run strace on the pan process and save results to the disk file, but it was inconclusive; whatever kills the login session seems to happen outside of the pan process.

Can anyone suggest ways of debugging this?