Re: Plan to remove libxml2-static

On 24 January 2018 at 09:04, Igor Gnatenko
<ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is anybody against of removal of libxml2-static package? It is not used by any
> Fedora package.

It is easy to (simple) check ..

[tkloczko@domek SPECS.fedora]$ egrep -e 'BuildRequires:.*libxml-static' *
[tkloczko@domek SPECS.fedora]$

Other changes discarded from my set of changes:

- removed 2nd copy of the libxml2 API documentation (doc/html it is
  the same as in %%{_datadir}/gtk-doc/html/libxml2) and 3rd copy in source xml

  in this case still is (original) copy in devel gzipped xml SOURCE doc

- remove static zlib-devel, xz-devel and pkgconfig Requires in devel
  (none of the libxml2 header files is using zlib or xz headers and
  provide .pc file does not mean that package needs pkgconfig)

 Fact that those libraries are listed in:

Libs.private:   -lz  -llzma   -lm

  does not mean that some devel packages are needed. Libs.private is
used on STATIC linking!!! Use static linking in Fedora is highly
REDUCED
  So far I did not found even single source code build frameworks
querying for Libs.private.
  *ALL* of them are asking for "libs".
  If is used for example in configure.ac are used macros from
/usr/share/aclocal/pkg.m4 or cmake macros from
%{_ibdir}/cmake/libxml2/libxml2-config.cmake which covers probably
~99% of using libxml2.pc none of such uses libxml2 are asking for
libs.private!!!!

  This *mistake* is widely spread across MAAAANY Fedora specs. All
Requires manually added in devel should be carefully revived and as
long as  none of the header files are using some *-devel headers many
such dependence is possible to remove.
  Theoretically it is possible to add header files dependencies
generator. When su

- add %%{_libdir}/cmake/libxml2 directory to devel %%files

  [tkloczko@domek libxml2]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib64/cmake/libxml2
  file /usr/lib64/cmake/libxml2 is not owned by any package
  [tkloczko@domek libxml2]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib64/cmake/libxml2/*
  libxml2-devel-2.9.5-2.fc28.x86_64

  It is yet another type of mistake madein MAAAAANY Fedora specs.

  [tkloczko@domek SPECS.fedora]$ egrep -e '^%{_.*dir}.*/$' * | wc -l
  13213

  =:-O

  In files should be