Re: make yum repo when we build things in koji

On 01/20/2018 06:53 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 19 January 2018 at 22:53, Dusty Mabe <dusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> On 01/19/2018 10:39 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>>

>>> [harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/koji.repo
>>> [koji]
>>> name=Koji Repo
>>> baseurl=https://koji.fedoraproject.org/repos/f$releasever-build/latest/$basearch/
>>> enabled=0
>>> skip_if_unavailable=1
>>> gpgcheck=0
>>> sslverify=0
>>
>> Thanks!
>> I didn't know about this, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for because that seems
>> to includ everything that has been built. I'm looking more specifically for just a repo
>> with a particular rpm in it. So for example. I currently want to test the new grub2 update
>> for f27, but I only want to test that update and I want to compose a new ostree with it. If
>> I use the repo you provided then I get all new latest built packages included.
>>
>> Another reason to have the feature I request is so that scratch builds can be easily tested.
>>

> Reasons for not doing this in the past were:
> 1. Extra load on koji for downloading for software to developers. Koji
> has a complex caching system which is finicky. Making it more friendly
> for builders makes it less friendly for users. Making it more friendly
> for users makes it worse for builders.

Weird. The caching problem sounds like something we should fix? Easier said
than done, right?

> 2. Extra software to break and needing support from admins to track
> down. We already get a daily set of "why did my scratch build not show
> up?" Every time createrepo blows up it is going to cause problems that
> need to be dealt with.

Is createrepo buggy? Wouldn't we see this in copr too if it was a big problem?

> 3. Extra disk space on something which is running at 90+% of N TB most
> of the time. You are looking at a repository for every package all the
> time.. several hundred thousand repositories.

The metadata is around 32K (although probably don't need both the xml and sqlite),
but yes, several hundred thousand of them would add up.

> 4. Tight release schedules on trying to deliver all the other things
> which means we can't implement the cleanups we have put off for N
> months because we needed one more thing added.

This is a problem that I'm familiar with. I'm not saying we have to deliver
a change like this, just that I'd like to discuss it.

> 5. People wanting larger and larger sub repositories. One of the
> reasons copr got built was because people thought they only needed 1
> package but it quickly became "I need these 12 packages to actually
> test this 1 thing". You could have 12 repos activated with 12x the
> load on the koji server.. or you could have 1 repo with those 12
> packages in it.

And we'd have to download, import and build those 12 packages all over again in copr.
There is still load, just moved around.

> I can only look at this and say "We already have a tool for this.. its
> called copr" If copr does not have something that works for ostree, it
> would be better to work on getting it there.

This isn't really ostree specific. It was just an example I gave. This should
apply for any time of release artifact that requires a yum repository as input
(kickstart, lorax, ostree, live-media-creator, etc).

Dusty